Running

Running
Running

Sunday, October 30, 2011

2011 Nairobi International Marathon – good weather, half run

2011 Nairobi International Marathon – good weather, half run

It started on FB
On FB I had let the secret out thus, “The most secure marathon ever, has just ended. The 2011 Nairobi International Marathon ended at Nyayo National stadium a few hours ago.  Security was tight, towards paranoia. A chopper hovered overhead during the first three critical hours.  Mens 42km run was won in 2.10.54, while the ladies event was won in 2.30.17.  The half marathon run was won in 1.01.31 and 1.12.10 in the mens and womens events respectively.  I managed 1.32.45 in the half marathon, being a break from the 42k that I had done three years in a row prior to this. Good weather throughout the morning - cloudy, no sun, no cold - just perfect.  Water was available at all water stations... but there were no distance markers (again).”

That generally summarized the run of the day.

Early morning
When I arrived at the venue at 6.30am, the warm-ups for the 42km full marathon were ongoing.  This year, I had made a conscious decision to do a half-marathon.  I had not practiced much.  I believe that my body was just tired.  I did not do any distance more 21km during my year’s training.  I was therefore glad, albeit reluctantly, to take a rest.  I say reluctantly, since the 21k distance, that I should do in about 90minutes seemed short, compared to the longer run that was now in my system.  When doing a 42k, the 21k mark is ‘just the beginning’ of the run.  My body was kind of tuned to this state of mind.

All the runs started on time.  At exactly 7.00am the 42km full marathon for gents and ladies started at the main Uhuru highway road section, between the Nyayo stadium and Nakumatt supermarket.  Security was unusually tight.  Unlike last year, athletes had to display their run numbers to be allowed entry into the stadium compound!  Even to access the washrooms in that compound.  There was an increase in the number of uniformed security personnel and official vehicles at the venue.  This however did not dampen the usual pomp and fanfare that goes on during this event.  The runners were as excited as never before.  A police helicopter hovered overhead, from around 6.50am.  With every pass, the athletes waved at it and cheered.  An armed sharpshooter sat on the open side door of the chopper, aiming something that looked like a rifle barrel to the sea of humanities beneath.  It kept circling the venue, each of its circuits taking about ten minutes.  Even this did not stop the runners from making a joke out of it.

Chopper
“The enemy’s strategy would be to take out the sharpshooter,” an athlete amongst the crowd of those doing warm-ups said.
“Chances are that the enemy would be taken out first,” another responded, amidst hearty laughter.
The usual jostling towards the starting line started just after the 42km run was gunned-off (that is what happened, a gun was fired to start the run – there was no flag).  By the 7.30am starting time, the 21km crowd had virtually pushed out the human shield cordoning their advance.  I started my timer at the sound of the gun.  Later on, I compared the lead car’s large LCD display time and it was exactly like my own.  I had managed to sync my timer to the official one.  The rest of the job was now to put my body to the test.

The weather was very favorable this Sunday morning.  It was cloudy but not cold, nor was it windy.  Just cool and urging us on.  I started slowly and maintained a steady pace by 30minutes, just at the Parliament road section.  Our route was unchanged since last year.  Just a 10km tour of the city via Uhuru highway, with detours on Harambee avenue, Kenyatta avenue and Haile Sellasie avenue, to head back to the Nyayo stadium starting point.  After this, a 10km circuit of the other site of Nyayo stadium on Mombasa road to culminate into a final 1km to the stadium.

Distance marker
I wanted to test my timing at the 10km mark, which should have been about 45minutes, if I was to beat the 1.30.00 that was my target this year.  I had only done one 21k before, that was in 2007.  That was my very first competitive run, happening just two months since I joined the team.  I did this one in 1.43.02.  I was hoping to shave 13min from this last run.  I was on the lookout for the 10km mark, but by the time I was doing the extreme turn on Mombasa road, there was no 10km mark yet.  My timer was on 1.05.00.  Could I be doing a 10km in over an hour?

Finally, I saw the notice ‘2km more – 21km and 42km runners’.  This sign was just before the flyover next to the Nyayo stadium roundabout.  This sobered my mind that was wondering on various issues as I did the run.  So the organizers, for yet another year, forgot to install the distance markers, which they had promised on the runners guide that they shall position every 5km.

Gold
I was not as tired as previous years when I finished the run at the running track in the stadium.  I stopped my timer at 1.32.45.  I was ushered outside the stadium to the ‘watering’ tent, where I took four 250ml bottles of water and just down them one after another.  By the time I reached the next tent, marked ‘Finishers medals – 21km’, I was completely quenched and feeling quite normal.  I had the lower part of the runners number, which I had handwritten, with my name and contacts, torn out.  In exchange I was given a ‘golden’ medal with inscription – ‘Standard Chartered Nairobi Marathon 21km finisher’.  On the reverse side – ‘Standard Chartered bank 100 years in Kenya 2011’.  I was not expecting a certificate.  These are now processed by an online system about one week after the run.

As we celebrated the good run with three other colleagues, a far cry from the over forty that makes the team each year, we could not help but wonder what the insecurity fuss was all about.  After all, marathoners mean no harm and no one can surely mean them harm.

WWB – Nairobi, October 30, 2011

2 comments:

  1. A faithful marathoner you are! congratulations for finishing the race and thanks for this update. Sad though coz i wasn't able to run this year's marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always a next time. The turnout, from my own team, was at an all time low. However, if you must run a big one this year, then try 'Maasai mara marathon' on Nov. 19, 2011

    ReplyDelete