Running

Running
Running

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Running is not easy – Maggy’s experience


Running is not easy – Maggy’s experience

I have had runs before – short runs, medium runs, long runs, false starts, successful starts etc.  That makes me assume that I have seen it all.  But wait a minute – today I did a long run (15km) to Mindspeak seminar at Nairobi’s Intercontinental Hotel – actually, most of the run was being done by the matatu!.  Let me reflect on expectations… some months ago, the organizers used to offer breakfast.  It is now history (though ‘breakfast will be served from 9.00am’ is still a footnote on the invitations).  The crowd is however becoming bigger.  I arrived at about ten minutes past nine and hardly got a seat on the second row second seat left side of the auditorium.  The position was not very vantage as I had to struggle to angle almost 90 degrees to see the podium.  Additionally, the bright spot lights meant to illuminate the podium blinded me most of the two hours.

Potential
Mindspeak is a forum for potential (and kinetic) investors to learn from their and others experiences.  Today we were learning from the experience of Maggy Ireri, the Managing Director of Ipsos Synovate.  Her talk informed us that I-S has representation in 84 countries worldwide.  Her run was a bit different from my routine lunch hour run down Kapenguria road.  Her run was ordinary.  She kept out of trouble during her childhood and school going ages.  Later, while doing her BEd at KU, she also ran her family supermarket business, earning good money.  (This was meant to encourage students to take hustling seriously)

Diligence, Discipline, Determination
It is not news that Maggy mentioned the three Ds (3D).  That is what she learned while running the supermart.  That is what I have learnt while tackling the tough hill on Kapenguria road during the lunch hour run, when the sun is overhead.  When it is hot.  When your body aches.  When you feel like fainting.  When there is no water.  When no one is there to urge you on but yourself.

While awing with nostalgia, something happens on the screen.  “Pursue opportunity and Money will follow,” a bullet point on one of her slides screams in bold black text on a yellow background.  This would have been invisible from my sitting position had it not been for the large projector screen just in front my sitting section.  A replica screen shows the same on the other side of the podium.

Improve
“Look for opportunities to do more,” a subsequent highlight indicates.  She relates this to her long stay at the research firm, which has changed ownership from Steadman to Synovate to Ipsos.  I try to relate this to the running track and remember my own advice to team members – increase the distance over time.  I urge them to improve from their 45min runs towards the 1hr mark over a period.  I encourage them to keep diaries and deliberately work towards improvement.

School
My analogy is cut short, when a new emphasized text pops onto the screen – “Academic qualifications are foundations but experience gives the edge”.  That is just it – you can go to the school of running all your life but you must hit the road for the lessons to count.  “That was easy,” I say to myself.  I happen to have uttered that loudly.  My colleague to the left, who was busy on Twitter, doing an update by the minute, smiles at me and wonders at my response to the speaker.  She gets the point and probably tweets my statement to the rest of the world.  My right hand colleague happens to have been employed at my current place sometime ago.  Earlier on we had exchanged pleasantries but were cut short when the session began.

“Work hard as failure is not an option” – another bold text on yellow states.  Before I give it a marathon angle, the next one follows almost immediately – “Opportunities come once in a lifetime”.  While am conjuring up a run story for this, Maggy tells the audience how her opportunity to get the MD position was almost lost by her reluctance.  A two-week soul searching break enabled her take the opportunity that would otherwise have been lost forever.

Opinion
We learn that opinion polling is not the main business of Ipsos.  With only 3% share, it is like a drop in the ocean compared to their key revenue avenues being Market research (57%) and Media research (40%).  While I crunch the numbers to put a meaning to them, Maggy states that, “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower”.  She believes her firm is there to lead the rest of the pack.  This reminds me of that very first 42k marathon, when after waiting for anyone to volunteer to hit the ‘big’ run without success, I had to declare that “I shall lead the quest for gold in this run – whether I get followers or not”.  Of course, I did not get follows, but that did not stop me from flying the team flag in the 2008 run conquered in 3.26.27.

We are given a ‘run’(down) of the science of opinion polling.  Her polls have predicted the correct presidential election results in USA, France and Nigeria all in 2012.  At this point, the audience seems quite skeptical by this proclamation, so she drives the point home by, “Believe me, we did it.  We predicted correctly… and you know how bad Nigeria is”.  That calls for laughter.  Someone shouts, “Oga”.  Another one shouts, “Igwe”.  These just prolong the laughter.

To answer the unasked question of sample size, she volunteers that the France sample was only 1,000 respondents.  She concludes by saying that sample size does not matter.  The selection and distribution of sample is what matters. 

No cheques
During Q&A, a member of the audience asks what the poll results for UG were, given that she worked there for over five years earlier in her career.  She amuses all with “Kampala is a small village”.  Amidst some giggles from the masses, she now answers, “In UG, we do not do opinion polls”.  There is applause in the hall as murmurs fill the auditorium.  In responding to who sponsors her opinion polls, she admits that the range is wide.  However, “for politicians, we do not accept cheques – just cash upfront”.  That goes well with the audience since they respond in kind with sustained claps.  As happens at every Mindspeak, someone popped the big question on whether Maggy was single and available… she keeps us all guessing before affirming – receiving quite some crowd after the session had come to an end.

From her run experience, I learn that “running is not easy” – but it must be done.

Wanjawa WB, Nairobi, Kenya, Saturday, January 26, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment