Running

Running
Running

Friday, March 2, 2018

Rain versus runner… the winner is…


Rain versus runner… the winner is…

Today is March 1, 2018, the very day when the Kenya Met had promised that the rains shall start.  They have previously been untruthful with their predictions and today shall not be different, right?  But isn’t prediction of the weather quite easy?  If I was to predict that it would rain the whole year, I am likely to get it right maybe 40%.  If I was to forecast a sunshine for the whole year, chances are that I would be right 60% of the time.  So what is our obsession with forecast?  It is the easiest science, I mean art ever!.

When I left for today’s lunch hour run it was hot.  It was shinny.  There were no signs of rain.  The only remote signs were the few puddles along the road after the rains of the previous night.  Thursday is not usually a run day for my team, who do their runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I had also done my 10k on Monday, with Jannet and James – the day that we kept her guarded.  I remember the ‘fisis’ of Ndumbo, especially around the road to the university college whispering loud enough for our advantage,

Cheki huyo manzi manze!  Kasupu!  Lakini waseya weme msandwich, hata tatuwezi make move,” one of the three gents had whispered to his colleagues.
Lakini huyo dame anaweza kukulete!  Vile yeye ni athlete!,” the fisi 2 whispered back
Hatuna bahati, hawa wasee hawawezi tupa chance.  Wame mguard all sides.  Wanafanana wasee mean sana,” fisi 3 whispered.
By that that we had cleared the ‘Wangari Maathai’ hill and were now heading to Ndumbo as we head for the 2-km home stretch.  That was Monday.  Four days ago.

I missed my yesterday’s run due to my foot that has been so-so for the last two weeks just decided to go on strike.  I could hardly walk without a limp.  The pain on my calf was just unbearable, but I persevered ‘kiume’, promising to do something about it in the evening.  Something, I did, since I dipped the right foot into a basin of hot water, for purposes of… what was I thinking!?

“EEffff,” I shouted to the still night.  It must have been around mid-night when I decided on this self-massage.
“The heeecchhhh,” I shouted a second time to the empty room, as the pain of the scold spread up-body.
The water was burning hot.  Scolding is an understatement!
However, I woke up today with the pain gone.  I could only feel it somewhere far deep in the leg.

So the reason why I was on the road on this odd day was due to my missed run yesterday and my apparent healed foot.  I had also had a good morning, characterized by a trip to that man who regulates air and charges an arm and a leg for it.  The tour was good and I got to enjoy the outdoors… while it lasted until mid-day.  I had already witnessed a computer being blamed for failing to allow me pay for my Post Office box rental.  I had already experienced a similar computer accept my 23 dollars for the same post office box renewal.  What a contrast!, but that was just part of the so far so good day.

I kicked off my run at the compound and zoomed past the gate.  I knew that I would be alone on the track today.  There was no chance of another of my team members running on this odd day.

I was ready to sample, yet again, the 13k route that has basically two major hills - the Ndumbo hill (Kanyariri route), then a relative flat terrain through the university farm, then a little tarmac before hitting the usual ‘tarmac’ turning point, then back the familiar Kapenguria road that ends in that famous hill from river to Wangari, then another adjoining hill from Wangari to Ndumbo.  These two hills back-to-back, hill-to-hill, that stretch 2km are every runner’s nightmare.  We hate them so much that we have to just run past them as fast as we can… but that is never easy, and usually a beginner (even professional) will slow it down and may even be on a walk by Wangari, never to recover the run until reaching Ndumbo after the end of hill.  So this is the run that I was doing today…..

Round 1
I set off from my block through the gate, past Kabete Police station, across the busy Waiyakai way and then to the Vet loop.  This was a smooth run.  2km of pure fun.  I was on top gear.  The sun was good, the shade at Vet loop was better.  I reached Ndumbo stage in very good time, less than 13 minutes.  The weather was still good, the sun was still hot and there was nothing to worry about.  Of course the matatus were still noisy and in a hurry to nowhere, outdoing each other, with makangas shouting themselves hoarse in the name of beckoning passengers.

Round 1 winner – Runner.


Round 2
At Ndumbo I took the Kanyariri route, intending to run down then the up hill to eventually make the right turn towards UON farm.  I had just turned to the left at Ndumbo when a drop of water hit my hand.  I looked around so see if there was someone with mischief doing a spray game or what.  There was no one.  Momentarily, the second and third drop followed, then the sky just dimmed, it started being windy and the weather changed… just like that!

“Surely it can’t rain at this hour,” I told myself, more to wish that were true than a statement of fact.  The statement held.  It did not rain, and I reached the river without much incidence.  If anything the apparent rain was no more – but wait a minute!  Just as I started on the uphill I looked back and saw it behind me – the white formation of the rain was following me steadily.  I could see it on the route that I had just taken.  It was on my back, and running fast after me.  Unfortunately, I was facing the hill while it was coming downhill.  You can guess whom of the two was gaining speed!  It just started hitting me as I did that hill, first just drizzles, nothing much.  I made the turn to the university farm with the drizzle still on my path.  Just drizzles.

Round 2 winner – Runner.


Round 3
When I turned toward the farm to now cross the 2km to the other side of Kabete, to make my way to Lower Kabete road, that is when I was welcomed to the fully furry of the rain.  I started by just perceiving the noise caused by the rain on this mainly deserted and forested section of the road.  There was no one around.  As some point a motorbike overtook me only for me to find it some 100m ahead, stopped, maybe trying to decide whether it was worthwhile continuing or turning back.  It seemed like a lose-lose situation – for him, for me too.

Round 3 winner – Rain.


Round 4
Just within the ‘nowhere’ of uni farm, the white material started falling before my feet.  I was now completely soaked.  My shoes were now full of water, but that the least of worries, since the rain and hailstorm had now finally came down with fury.  I have never seen such much water and white pebbles in a long time.  I was terrified for a moment that the worst may happen.  I could hardly run.  The road was slippery, the rain was heavy, I could hardly see.  Then, a piece of hail, the size of a lollipop hit me square on the skull.  I just felt the pain on my leg.  It was the most painful bump on the head.  My bald head.  After that, the small ones did not even feel like anything.  My attempt to cover the head with my left hand helped not, but maybe it did since my left pinky felt the brunt of another lollipop that would otherwise have crushed my skull.  The finger was paralyzed for a moment.  The pain.  If this continues then the worst was surely going to happen.  There was hardly any shelter at this desolate route.

Round 4 winner – Rain.


Round 5
I made the turn from the isolated road and joined the route that passes next to the secondary school, beside where I saw a shelter, the locked shopfront that hardly covered my size, but it seemed like the only place that shelter was remotely possible.  So…. I took it and got my shelter.  My running clothes were dripping.  As I took the rest, 29 minutes into my run, I saw the full wrath of the rain.  It rained and rained, heavy and heavier.  The hail kept falling down.  The makeshift kiosk next to my shelter had already collected a try full of white pebbles.  It just kept raining until I wondered whether I would be stuck there forever, six kilometers if I were to turn back or seven kilometers ahead, if I was to continue going.

Round 5 winner – Rain.


Round 6
I kept my timer going.  Jannet usually tells me that the timer should be stopped when the run stops, even momentarily.  I don’t believe that lie.  A timer helps you measure your full run, not your convenient run episodes!  I left my shelter at the 00.39.49 timer time and just joined the rain.  It had by now subsided greatly.  The hail had stopped coming down.  The road was wet, muddy and slippery, but manageable.  I started enjoying my run after that 10-minute break.  I knew that I would soon hit Lower Kabete road for the half kilometer run to ‘the tarmac’ then turn to the muddy Kapenguria road.  That is what I did exactly, even as the rain come to an end by the time I was making the turn at Kapenguria.

Surely, the winner of this round – Runner.


Round 7
The run off to Kapenguria road was wet and slippery.  The road is currently under repair and the work done so far made the road a bit bearable.  It was not as flooded as it would have otherwise been.  Believe me, I know this road, and would have been worse.  By the time I passed by KAGRI, the drizzles had started once more.  The drizzles remained mild and I could handle it even as I headed to the river.

Round 7 winner – Runner.


Round 8
The river is currently undergoing major works.  The road is already closed and the river crossing is completely dug out.  There is no through road and one has to divert to a temporary foot bridge at the river crossing.  I had hardly diverted to the side path of my right when the rain started again.  I resumed by run on the road under repair when the rain was already on a war path.  I have never been beaten this badly.  Another hill, another beating – and remember this is the 2km hill, with the first temporary reprieve at Wangari, then another kilometer of hill from there to Ndumbo.
“This is just great,” I shouted to the rain and I continued to struggle with the uphill.  The slippery road reduced my pace further, but I just kept going, all the way to Ndumbo.  I have never been beaten this badly.

Round 8 winner – you guessed right – Rain.


Round 9
From Ndumbo back to Uthiru is a 2km stretch using the same route that I took on my first leg of the run.  The rain had subsided substantially, and a run on this part of the route was quite enjoyable.  The weather was cool and I could afford to accelerate while benefiting from natural cooling.  I was on top of my game as I passed the Ministry of Livestock inlet gate and headed to ‘the wall’.  From the wall, one just crosses the Waiyaki way and then when on the other side of the road at the Police station, the run is technically done, since that last one km to my starting point is nothing to worry about.  I reached the wall in quite high spirit.  Happy that I had conquered the rain.

Goes without saying, Round 9 winner – Runner.


Round 10
Believe whoever says ‘it is never over until it’s over’.  I say this because the moment I passed the wall and prepared to cross Waiyaki is the very moment that the rains came back in full force.  I suffered the humiliation of being rained on for over 2 minutes as the file of vehicles dominated the road.  After crossing one side of the road, I had a similar dose of rain on the other side as I awaiting the vehicles to fly past by hardly visible form as I waited for the road to clear.  After crossing over, I had no choice but to run in the rain once more back to my starting point.  What a run day – and surprisingly in good time - a 1.17.29 run.  If I was to remove the 10-minutes that I took the shelter, then I would be looking at a 1.07 run, which is probably faster than on occasions where there is no rain.  But make no mistake about it, the 10th round surely goes to Rain.  It taught me a lesson from Wall to Gate.


So how comes we have a draw between Rain and Runner?  Marathons do not have winners drawing!  Someone wins, someone else runs up after the winner (runners up).  This draw is not acceptable, that just means a tie breaker – either another duel between the two or…. One of them handing back the win on one of the sections.  I do not see the latter happening.  Gentlemen, ladies, we have a duel on our hands – we have a rerun!!!  Watch this space!!!!

Barack Wamkaya Wanjawa, Nairobi, Kenya, March 1, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment