Running

Running
Running

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Seeing double, before seeing clearly

Seeing double, before seeing clearly

Was that 15million that I saw?  I would have to recheck, but later.  The time was now just about 12.30pm.  I had already seen the text from Edu booking me for yet another mid-week run in as many weeks.  It was to be my run day anyway.  I would just have to shed-off the ‘runner’ tag and assume the ‘trainer’ one.  Still good with me.  Wednesday is a run day and a run is a run – whether running or training.

I would join Edu at the generator at about 12.40pm.  His patient had already been overstretched for a second time in as many weeks.  I met him already off for the run, while I headed to the generator for the start.  He had to make a U-turn so that we could start the run a second time together.

The weather was good.  As good as no sun and equally not cold.  I led the way as we headed for Waiyaki way via Kabete Poly.  We just kept running on the usual route that would keep us on Kapenguria road, to get past Wangari Maathai Institute, then the river, then the tarmac, then Mary Leakey, then University farm, then the tank.  It is at the tank where we would decide whether to turn back by a left-turn back to Ndumbo or we would add some kilometres by turning right, then coming back to this very tank on our way back.

However, we did not get to the tank together.  It was just after Mary Leakey school, having walked a few times already, that Edu confessed to his persistent muscle pull on the right leg.
“Just keep going,” he motioned me past, “I shall make my turn at the 10k point.”

So, I kept going, leaving him behind, worried to the core as to whether he would make it to the tank, let alone add a few more kilometres to the 10k point.  We were just past the 6k mark at this point.  I was imagining another 4k of painful steps on his part, then yet another last six back to the starting line.  That was lots of hours of muscle aches, though the pain was likely to subside with time – likely, but not guaranteed.

I would turn right at the tank, then run all the way past Kanyariri market, to my new ‘usual’ turning point.  I then started my way back, where I eventually met Edu also on his way back, just past the ‘10k turnback’.  He must have done more than the 10k turnback for me to have met him where I did.  We did run together to the Ndumbo river, then I went ahead on the hill, before waiting for him at the Ndumbo market.

From the market he gave me the go ahead to finish the run, as he was sure to make it back.  There were now only three kilometres separating us from the gate of the finish line.  Those last few kilometres were smooth as I headed to the finish line.

Another run was done – just another Wednesday, with another mid-week run, with another half marathon.  I would soon be back to that 15M.  It was a true figure.  COVID-19 infections on planet earth were now standing at 15M – technically, 15,223,912 with 622,536 deaths.  A scroll down on the listing of countries on the worldometer webpage would show Kenya at number 66, ranked by infections, with 14,805 infections and 260 deaths.  

However, I would stumble on the figures of our neighbours further down the list.  Uganda had 1,075 infections and zero deaths.  You read right, zero deaths.  The stats for this does not look right, comparing what is shown for other countries, comparing infections versus fatalities.  Nonetheless, the data says what the data says, and you have to believe something, don’t you?  

And… and TZ, who stopped doing anything about TT, including participating in the submission of the data to WHO, still had some numbers.  Though they have since allowed everybody to do what they want and to continue living their lives, their numbers remain those that were published more than one month ago, being 509 infections and 21 deaths.  

Good news though!  All these figures would soon mean nothing, as development of vaccine and treatments are now on high gear and just within this year - yes, within 2020, we shall have a proven therapy for TT.  Therefore Corona can enjoy the limelight with big numbers for now.  That streak shall came to a screeching halt in a maximum of five months.
“TT, take that statement and bank it somewhere safe.”

WWB, the Coach, Nairobi, Kenya, July 22, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment