Running

Running
Running

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

You can predict the weather everywhere else …

You can predict the weather everywhere else …

“I give up on you, Eldy!,” I exclaimed as I watched the floor next to where I was standing progressively get wet and soon get flooded with the rain water that was running down my running gear.  I had been rained on yet again.

I had started the Monday run at 12.30pm when it was hot and shiny.  There was no semblance of clouds on the wide heavenly blue sky.  I was confident that the Friday-like rain would not fall on me on this weather.  I was still set to run on the same new, now turning to be old, route that runs from Eldy town towards Kipkenyo on the 8km mark, then back.  I had already decided on that turning point since my right knee had not improved much since Friday.

If anything, the right knee was feeling worse than it did on Friday.  I was even doubting if I would make it through the run at all.  This feeling started with the first step.  I was in total self-doubt when I got to the first kilometre mark, ready to do the right hand turn to join the tarmac to Kip-kay.  I had already reduced speed though the run was just starting.  I kept going on this slower than normal speed.  I had already decided that I would just struggle to reach the 3k mark, then turn back.

At the 3k, I decided to push myself to the brink of pain and make it to the 5k, which I did.  At that point, I then decided to push it to the 6k.  That would be it!  Just 6k, then I shall turn back.  At 6k I could easily make out the 8k turning point at Kip-kay.  Surely, there was no turning back now, when I could see the 8k just ahead.  That realization even reduced the pain on my knee, making those last two kilometres to the turning point quite fast.

I was glad to finally do the U-turn at Kipkenyo primary school.  I would now just have to run back on the same familiar route.  I kept the self-motivation going.  I had already done half the run.  I would surely finish the run.  The weather continued being hot.  The sky continued being blue without a trace of cloud.  I was glad that my Monday run would be a dry run.

The weather suddenly just changed when I was about three kilometres to the finish.  I started noticing some blackness in the distance horizon ahead, following by some flashes in those distant skies.  This observation was however so many kilometres away from here.  The weather over here remained fairly cloudless though the hot sun had now dimmed for some reason.  There was however no rain and no signs of any rain.

I kept going while the weather remained good by virtue of no sunshine but no rain or cold either.  I was also sensing that the end of the run was near.  I would be done in less than fifteen minutes.  It was still cool with clear skies when I got to the junction that marks one kilometre to the finish.  The distant horizon remained dark.  I knew that it was raining somewhere far, but nothing here.

With my finish so near, and the weather so favourable, I decided to add a twist to the run.  Instead of heading to the finish by a left-turn, I instead turned right at the junction to get to the other side of the road.  I started running onto a new tarmac road still under construction.  I was now running opposite and away from my finish line.  The weather would surely still allow me to squeeze in some extra ks.  My right knee was now well greased after over one hour of run.  I was not feeling any pain.

This decision to run far from my finish would spell the start of my troubles on this day, since I was barely five minutes into this diversion when the once distant darkness of the horizon started approaching the town.  I could see the dark signs of rain steadily approaching my run.  The once clear blue overhead skies started getting the dark cloud cover just before my very eyes.  I kept going against the approaching rain, but now with lots of doubt on the wisdom of extending this run.

I reached the end of the new tarmac and made a U-turn, just as the first drops of rains started falling.  The rain then started chasing me from behind.  I really accelerated on that new tarmac as the rain kept up the chase.  I would soon discover that my speed was no match for the rain, since it momentarily started falling heavily and the rain soon overtook me just before I hit the tarmac junction.

I was not deep in the rain.  My finish line was still one kilometre away.  I was already fully soaked though I had not even been in the rain for over two minutes.  It was heavy.   My shoes were soon completely flooded.  I was now in the thick of things.  I just had to keep going to the finish line, adding a little extra distance towards the finish now that I was already being rained on anyway.

I finished the run after 1hr 45min in the middle of the blinding rain.  The time was 2.15pm.  Then the rain just got switched off, just like that!  Before my very eyes!  It has rained for about fifteen minutes but it had mostly rained on me.  The end of the run marked the end of the rain.  The dark cloud cover would soon evaporate from the skies leaving the familiar blue azure overhead.

“I give up on Eldy!,” I exclaimed a second time as I marveled at the change of weather that was unfolding before my very eyes.  It would even shine, and brightly so, later in the day.

WWB, the Coach, Nairobi, Kenya, Aug. 31, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment