Running

Running
Running

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Ending October with Numbers, Distance and Str-wrong medicine

Ending October with Numbers, Distance and Str-wrong medicine


Today is the end of month.  Despite being end of October, the corona pandemic has taken no cognizance of the end month joy.  It has instead continued to pour misery upon misery onto humanity.  The number of COVID-19 confirmed infections stands at 46,053,200 worldwide, with 1,195,935 fatalities and 33,322,659 recoveries.  That puts the mortality rate at 2.6%.  Kenya can also not celebrate end month, since at number 73 on ranking based on total infections, we now have 53,797 confirmed cases, with 981 deaths and 35,876 recoveries.  Our mortality rate stands at 1.8%.  Is there anything to celebrate given these numbers?

Of course yes, there is reason to celebrate.  First and foremost, the fatality rate of corona aka ‘the thing’ or TT in short remains low.  2.6% is bad, but lower than had been feared.  I remember during the earlier days of the pandemic, one of my pg-classmates on the WhatsApp group stating that we shall hit a million infections by six-months.  

I had really questioned him on that assertion, since I had informed him that the mortality rate was just about 2% and 1M deaths would mean that 50M infections of Kenyans (all Kenyans!), which I told him was just impossible in six months.  Well, that was a discussion in April, the early days of TT.  We are now six months into the prediction and our mortality is 1.8%.  I am glad that I believed in the strength and resilience of humanity, unlike my colleague who was on the grim-side of things.

Is there reason to celebrate?  Of course, yes!  Life continues and streaks of good news still come our way despite the pandemic.  We have many vaccines on trial with some already on use to first line workers in some countries such as Russia.  Many more vaccines are on phase three trials aka larger population trial before it can be rolled out to the masses.  This is quite good news.  

Management practice for TT are also now well established and even in Kenya we do have home-based-care for COVID-19 patients, as the first line of management, with hospitalization being the last resort for only severe cases.  This means that we are progressively managing and soon conquering the TT thing.

I had my own instance of celebration this week.  It was raining on Monday and could not go for the customary Monday run.  I was therefore confident that the substitute run on Tuesday would take place.  I had later on gone to town to send some item by courier since the run of this Monday was already not possible.  Though going for a medical was not in the works, I just did a spur of the moment decision after the courier visit to take advantage of being in town to also got to the clinic.

I had decided to pass by the health centre to check on my left wheel which has been disturbing me for a while, and I have written blog upon blog about this particular heel, that hinge that gives me pain during and after every run.  However, it does not pain on the days that I do not do my runs.  It was therefore not aching on this Monday, since my last run was on Friday.  I was even having self-doubt on the wisdom of visiting the clinic on this day, but I found myself matching to the clinic building anyway.

What would you do if you went to the doc with a stomachache and got treated for a headache instead?  That analog depicts my experience at the clinic on this Monday.  As usual of any medical, I had to have the vitals checked first.  While at the cubicle for the checks, the nurse did not believe that I had a painful leg at all.
“Are you sure?,” she asked, “You have no lift whatsoever!”
I did not know what to say.  I should have not come here in the first place.  I knew that this would happen.  I was now sure that this was a mistake.

I would soon be called to the doc’s place.  The clinic had very few patients on this day.  I could only count three.  Business must be bad!  If people are not falling sick, then corona is really bad!  Most of the medical staff, including the doc whom I was now talking to, had most of the time on this day been glued to the TV screen.  

It was the occasion of the unveiling of the BBI* document at Nairobi Bomas venue.  The meeting in Nairobi had attracted national following.  This clinic was no different.  The president jibing his deputy about the deputy being impatient and seeking the big seat too early had caused lots of laughter even here at the Eldy clinic, almost 400km from the real venue of the meeting.
*Building bridges initiative, a document detailing constitutional reforms for Kenya, aimed at averting the post-election political unrest

I was not at the doc’s cubicle.  The doc looked at the papers from the nurse and without much enquiry started, “Oh, I see why you are here, these numbers are high!”
“What numbers?”
“These vitals.  We need to deal with this.  It is good that you came in at this point,” he continued, while still affixed to the numbers on the papers.  I could see some two numbers were written in red amid the lots of text that filled the paper.  I did not decipher what the numbers meant and why they were in red while the rest of text was in black writing.
“Let me send you to the lab,” he added, then as if on an afterthought, “Any other problem?”

Very funny!  I thought.  
“I actually came here because of a persistent pain on my left heel”
“You mean not for this?,” he pointed at the card.

I would soon be out of the doc’s and it did not take long to be through with the lab thing.  I had been referred to another hospital, about 2km away, to get an x-ray of the feet.  I walked and was at that hospital after about ten minutes.  Despite the number of people being so few at that hospital, their reception area was so disorganized that it took me over thirty-minutes to get a booking.  

The x-ray process was however very fast.  Despite this, it was just past five when I finally got that A4 size negative film that they call x-ray film.  By then the principal clinic was already closed.  I would have to continue my medical journey on the next day.  What a wasted day… and a missed run day.

So, I missed the Monday run and was still due for another trip to the clinic on Tuesday.  I still have a Tuesday meeting from ten, and hence had to visit the clinic in the afternoon.  The doc looked at that dark film and nodded.
“There is nothing to worry!  All is normal!”
That was music to ears.  No wonder I had not wished to come to this place in the first place.  Nonetheless, I still have this pain to deal with and I was now hoping that the prescribed drugs would ensure that I do not ever visit a hospital because of a leg.

I was therefore doing the Monday run on Wednesday, and as a consequence, was now doing the Friday run on Saturday.  Yes, today being a Saturday, I did my Friday run.  I just repeated the routine runs that I have done in the month of October.  Just running the trail, the mostly uneven trail, for the five circuits.  I was just glad that the run ended at some point, since it was a tough run on a hot day.  This was also a run of significance – the last run on the last day of the month.  After 2hr 16min 26sec, I was done with the last run of the month.  I was 6km short of the 31km that this day commemorates.

WWB, the Coach, Eldy, Kenya, Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment