Running

Running
Running

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Robbers and Heroes – the Mashujaa Day Experience

Robbers and Heroes – the Mashujaa Day Experience

Shika huyo mwizi!”
I thought that I heard that shout from ahead.  This got me from my otherwise preoccupied mind.  I am usually preoccupied with scanning the road and ensuring that the stepping action is working well.  That is one of the perils of doing a trail run.  Your adrenaline, that triggers alertness and eventuality, must be on the max.  Unlike a road race where you just let go and enjoy the comfort of the road, the trail needs a different strategy – concentration, observation, adaptation and usually reduced speed.  But you get to enjoy the sceneries and nature.

I was once again doing my trail runs on a loop, which I now call the ‘Big Circle’, though the mapping looks more of a big triangle.  This circle runs partly next to Sosiani river and then the uphill from the river to the tarmac to Kipkenyo, at the primary school, then a turnback all the way to the starting point and repeat.  It is a 5.5km circuit that would take about 30-minutes.  It would otherwise take a shorter time to go round if it was a road race setting.  A trail run gives this route a differing time – a longer time.  The ground is never tarmac and it mostly uneven.  Speed is never your aim, nor is it even possible to speed along anyway.  The previous day’s rains did not help the ground condition either.  The mostly dry weather roads had dried up into uneven rumble strips through most of the circuit.  It was a difficult run.

I was now on the second circuit, and had just done about 8k, with Kimalel primary school just behind me when I had this encounter.  I was to go straight on, through yet another dry weather road, full of unevenness resulting from the recent grading and subsequent rains.  There was an open field to my left.  I have run diagonally through that field before.  I now avoid it just to increase the distance, by doing the run round the almost three sides of the playing field to emerge on the other side of the field.

I was immediately brought to my senses.  I had to forget the concentration that I had on the running trail.  My eyes which were behaving like dipped lights, good for close observation, would now have to headlight much further to scan my surrounding and decipher what was going on.  I would momentarily see a motorbike starting to traverse the playground on my left.  It was coming from ahead but not running on the road.  It was running on the grassy edges of the field, heading towards the centre of the field.  On the motorbike was a passenger.  I would soon realize that it was this passenger doing the shouting. 

The motorbike of two was now just about five metres from the road where I was running.  I would now have to process the happenings and try to make sense of it.  My continuing run was not making things any better.  I would soon decipher a third person running just ahead of the motorbike wishing to disappear deeper into the playground.  It was not long before this third person would be intercepted by a stranger who was walking from the centre of the field towards the fringes.  This fourth ‘interceptor’ would be the blessing that the motorbike passenger needed, since this interception allowed the passenger to jump off the bike, run towards the person being chased and grab the runner from the hands of the person who had first caught him.  Shouting, exchanges and commotion had just erupted.  

I would now be forced to turn my head back to see the unfolding drama, since I had not stopped running, and the drama was now progressively and surely fading back behind.  I would have one last moment to see the passenger wrestle the alleged thief to the ground, while the motorbike driver and the person who intercepted just stood there to watch the two fight and roll on the grass.  I would soon be out of observable view as I did my left turn, then later another left turn, to emerge on the other extreme end of the playing field.  With my turning points dotted with buildings all around, I would not be unfortunate enough to witness the end of the drama.

Meanwhile, as I kept running, the happenings of a few minutes ago starting to fade as new material started getting my attention.  I would momentarily hear the unmistakable voice of the president as he gave his speech at Gusii stadium during the commemoration of the Mashujaa aka Heros day.  I could not get the details from the mostly muffled sounds, as I had to keep running past these stationary radio points, or past the receding motorbike radios.  

I kept to my trail circuits and would soon be on the third loop.  However, by this circuit, I would not find anyone at that playing field where there was drama hardly thirty minutes prior.  I hoped that it had ended well.  There is no hero in theft.  Nor is there heroism in taking the law into one’s own hands.  That is why we have law-enforcement.

I would however not dwell much on these thoughts.  I still have to concentrate on ensuring that my taking-in of the running path was perfect.  Especially today…

I had just bought a ‘new pair’ of second-hand running shoes the previous day.  I was taking them to the trail.  The trail is the real ground for a shoe test.  And the test results wouldn’t have come any sooner!  I had noted from the first circuit that the wheels were a bit tight.  I already know and have advised as such, that new wheels are not the perfect choice for a long run, until they finally get in shape.  You would usually take them for a short spin to let them assimilate to the new settings of feet and track, before you trust them for longer distances.

I was operating against my own advice on this Tuesday, and I was already having a sharp pinch on my right big toe as I started the third circuit.  I hoped that the pain would subside, though I knew with certainty, as certain as this day being a holiday, that the pain would only get worse.  And it did get worse.  The pinch and pain on that right toe persisted and kept getting worse with every step.  The last half of the run was done in pure pain.

The only reason why I kept going was just to keep with the tradition of the day.  There is a hero in each of us.  The hero that has the power to survive the worst of situations.  There hero in you to do what you are determined to do.  The hero that does things for the good of self and the good of others.  That hero in you, who recognizes that you are a real person, with good times and bad times.  You are a hero.  The very hero who is human, not a miracle worker – just a simple being – with needs, wants and feelings.  That hero, you, who remains a hero whether you are told about it or not, the fact is not changed.

I treaded on and would finish the run after doing four full circuits and a final bonus run that cuts out the Sosiani river section but maintains most of the trail to the end of run.  I did a 2.15.18 on this day when I was celebrating the hero in humanity.  Last Friday I was on the same route and did a 2.17.37 – but it was not heroes day on that Friday, was it?  What other reason is there to celebrate the hero in us!  Of course, I had to kick off the shoes immediately upon finishing the run and subsequently walked around with a limp throughout the day – but isn’t that what is expected of the hero in us?

So, as we celebrate the hero in humanity, even COVID-19, which has now infected 40,986,632 with 1,128,223 deaths and 30,576,827 recoveries cannot shake our resolve.  Even the Kenya numbers, at rank number 72 on the listing by total infections, now stand at 45,647; 842 and 32,522 respectively, does not dampen the heroism in humanity.  But it is not all groom.  There is a hero in all of us and there is a hero in the researchers doing something about this corona thing.  If you have misgivings, then have a look at what COVAX is all about.  This corona thing is being defeated progressively... and soon.

WWB, the Coach, Eldy, Kenya, Oct. 20, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment