Running

Running
Running

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Forgiveness at 16k – with schools on, and marathons on (not)

Forgiveness at 16k – with schools on, and marathons on (not)

Raiz aliompa ara-Rudo msamaha, imachin!,” a heard from a boda rider, who was in conversation with another two riders.  The three had congregated under a tree to shield themselves from the mid-day sun.  They were just standing to my right, on the edge of the road under construction, where I was now on an uphill run.  In a few moments I would pass besides Pioneer police post on my right and then immediately pass by Kimalel primary to my left.  After that I would hit the main tarmac road that goes to Kipkenyo, where I would turn left and then back left again to continue doing my loops around the trail.

I had just hit 16k, being my third circuit on the planned five circuit run on this trail, when I encountered the riders.  This trail was about a 5k loop and it had all the ingredients of a ‘real’ trail, from uneven roads, stony paths, roads under construction, muddy patches, rocky sections, hills, downhills, overgrowths, farmlands and even crossing of streams, albeit formative ones.  It is a trail that has finally tamed me into the reality of what a ‘proper’ run is all about.  Forget about those smooth marathons that we run back in the city, where they even close roads and divert traffic to allow us through.  This trail was the real ‘down to earth’ run – down to the earth, literally.

I remember seeing this group of riders at this very spot on the road the previous two times that I had gone through this circuit.  It was just coincidental that they were on loud talk this time around as I passed by a third time.  I had noted that they tended to keep quiet as they observed my approach.  They would then start talking when I was gone just beyond earshot.  I knew that they were discussing my run and how crazy it was to run in this hot sun.  I knew that they were doubting my sanity, due to the ‘ndio huyo tena’ statement that I could overhear, with strained ears when I was passing by.

I believe that on this Monday, the politics of the previous Saturday was just too hot to keep cool.  They just had to politic over this issue that had occurred during the National Day of Prayer held on that Saturday.  On that Sato, the national leaders had gathered for the prayers and the prezi had asked for forgiveness, but had also forgiven.  The boda group did not want to hear the ‘forgiven’ part.  They were more interested in the ‘forgive’ part.

But the boda people were not the only ones discussing the forgive/forgiven dichotomy.  I had heard on a radio talk show that same morning about the intricacies of this issue.  The radio people in fact brought a twist to that statement and said the forgiveness was conditional.  It was a ‘If I have wronged …’ conditional, meaning that it was not blanket.  They were also quick to point out that the counter statement did not have an if, it was unconditional, ‘I forgive’ (no ifs on this).

The boda people could hear nothing of any analysis on the statement.  They knew that they had achieved what they wanted – an ‘unconditional’ asking for forgiveness, for what they perceived to be harassment of their very own leader.  That is what counted.  

I was still engrossed in this forgiveness thing when I soon passed by Kimalel primary to my left.  I could see the students starting to stream out of the gate for the lunch break.  They were supposed to be having their face masks on.  I did not see them in any.  They were supposed to walk singly, without crowding – the so called ‘social distant’ walk (SD walk).  There was none of that.  I observed them hi-fiving each other and walking in groups as they headed out of the compound.  Corona prevention best practices were not working with the young ones.  Only the Most High would continue to see us through this pandemic.  This is beyond human effort – it would not be by power, not by might.

I would continue with this Monday run and add to it the last two laps.  I finally brought home the run after five loop round the trail.  I was tired, but running at the ‘backyard’ keeps me going since I know that I can easily drop out any time.  I keep running for as long as I want and this is good motivation.  That comfort of being able to drop out is responsible for the final tally of 25.6km in 2.16.26 done on this Monday.  

My average actually improved to 5m 20sec per km, over the last Friday run when it was 5m 29sec.  As I said, the trail has humbled me.  The high altitude has not made things any easier.  I have built up my resilience from the usual 5min average to the 5m 20sec on the high altitude.  I am improving, hard to believe but from 5min to 5min 20sec is an improvement – all factors considered.  It is hard arithmetic but get pen and paper and you shall be able to calculate that truth for yourself.

It is now a Wednesday.  I have had two days of rest.  Schools have reopened for three days, with class 4 and class 8 now being regulars in primary schools and form 4s being in session in secondary schools.  Universities and colleges started their reopening earlier in the month and they are progressively allowing their students back.  Restrictions on sports events are also being lifted.  The country even hosted an international athletics event two weeks ago.  Restrictions on marathons have however not been lifted, but it is no longer all gloom.  

Very soon life shall be back to normal and corona shall come to an end.  The very corona virus that causes COVID-19 whose global numbers* stand at 38,433,470 infections, 1,092,083 deaths and 28,888,220 recoveries.  The numbers in Kenya are 41,937; 787 and 31,340 respectively.  We are ranked 71 on the global list of 216 countries, based on total infections.  The numbers may seem high, but this pandemic shall soon be tamed – watch this space.
*all figures from worldometers website

WWB, the Coach, Eldy, Kenya, Oct. 14, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment